April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!

Whether or not you agree with the global warming debate and its effects on the earth, protecting and preserving our planet should be a priority for all of us. If nothing else, I believe it is our obligation to leave behind an environment that is healthy and sustainable for our children and grand children.

In our home we have taken a few steps to help preserve our planet by:
  • Switching to environmentally friendly cleaning products and toiletries. Luckily these types of products are becoming more and more available to the average consumer. I love the Ecos laundry detergent that is available in bulk at Costco now. Martha Stewart has also launched an eco-friendly line at Home Depot. I haven't tried it yet but it is on my list of items to buy when needed. Never doubt Ms. Martha.
  • Buying local and organic produce, meat and eggs through farmers at Farmers Markets and in my very own city. To quote, Steve Hopp in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle "If every U.S. citizen ate just one meal a week (any meal) composed of locally and organically raised meats and produce, we would reduce our country’s oil consumption by over 1.1 million barrels of oil every week. That’s not gallons, but barrels. Small changes in buying habits can make big differences. Becoming a less energy-dependent nation may just need to start with a good breakfast."
  • Growing my own organic herbs and vegetables in our backyard each Spring and Summer. My goal is to eventually add some Fall and Winter crops.
  • No more plastic grocery bags!
  • Switched to energy saving appliances and light bulbs.
  • Recycle and compost as much as possible.
I know there is much more we can do but for now these are our contributions.

Today Ozzie and I celebrated Earth Day with a nature walk through the woods with my moms group. Here are a few pictures of my little tree hugger in his 'Reduce, Reuse, Recycle' t-shirt before we left for our walk.


I can't believe I got him to pose for a picture.


Most of my pictures turn out blurry- like this.


And this.


Bored.


Ready to go Mom!

How are you helping to preserve our planet?

No comments:

Post a Comment