April 23, 2010

Meatless Monday

Like most good husbands, Oscar knows not to argue with his wife. Especially when I am arguing for one of my hair brained ideas that I read somewhere on someones blog months ago and suddenly MUST.DO.NOW! Most of the time he happily plays along. However, when I timidly told him that I wanted to incorporate Meatless Mondays to our weekly menu, I never expected my carnivorous husband to agree. I was actually quite shocked but so proud of the fact that he is open to new ideas to better our family's health.

Where it started I don't know but the idea behind Meatless Mondays is that by reducing meat consumption by 15% (the equivalent of one day a week) we lessen the risk of chronic preventable illness and have a strong positive impact on the environment.

Our first Meatless Monday was a few weeks ago but I am just now getting around to posting this after a long 10 day battle with a sinus infection for me and a full blow double ear infection for Ozzie. I went with Colleen's Black Bean Green Enchiladas using her Cumin Black Beans for our first dish. It was great and I am definitely planning on adding it to the dinner rotation.



Black Bean Green Enchiladas via Over Cocktails
Cumin Black Beans
6 flour tortillas
Green chile enchiladas sauce (1/2 - 3/4 can)
Cheddar cheese (or a Mexican blend)

Toppings:
Sliced olives
Sour cream
Chopped tomato
Avocado
Cilantro
Sliced jalapenos
Queso Fresco

Preheat oven to 350. Pour cooked beans into a fine sieve to remove all the liquid. Toss tortillas into warm oven for a few minutes. Remove and put several large spoonfuls of beans down the middle of each tortilla (maybe 1/2 cup worth of beans). Fold sides of tortilla over beans and place seam side down in a lasagna pan. Once all the tortillas are in the pan, cover with enchilada sauce. Top with shredded cheese. Bake for 5 minutes. Turn oven to broil and cook for 3-5 more minutes, until cheese is melted. Top each enchilada with your choice of topping.

I served it with sliced vegetables and a salad. You can see from the picture above, Oscar chose all the toppings and even a meatless meal can be very filling.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment