August 14, 2011

Sharing and Empathy with Toddlers: Why I don’t tell my kid to share

When Ozzie and I started a cooperative preschool last year, his preschool teacher said something to me at "Meet the Teacher Day" that almost knocked me off my feet. She said that she does not teach toddlers how to share. WHOA! Come again? Doesn't that go against every childhood lesson you have EVER learned? In fact, sharing and other social skills were the whole reason I started Ozzie in preschool at two years old. Being a summer baby and a boy, I figured he needed the head start.

After I picked my jaw up off of the floor, I asked her to explain. She did and it makes a lot of sense to me. She has been teaching preschool since 1979 so I'm guessing her practices work. The article below explains it far better than I can. It is a good read, I hope you enjoy it.

Sharing and Empathy with Toddlers: Why I don’t tell my kid to share

No comments:

Post a Comment