October 21, 2009

Mediterranean Chicken

Whenever I can I try to catch the Dr. Oz show in the afternoons. I've always enjoyed his groundbreaking and informative appearances on Oprah. So I am happy that he now has his own great show.



Watching his show reminded me about his book, You On A Diet, that I bought years ago and promptly did nothing with except let it collect dust in the cookbook cabinet.



A few weeks ago I decided it was time to try one of his heart healthy recipes. After dusting it off, I looked through it for something that I could pair with kale and the very last of my tomatoes from my garden. His Mediterranean Chicken with Beans sounded perfect.



Mediterranean Chicken with Beans from Dr. Oz:

Ingredients:

Chicken ingredients:2 bone-in chicken thighs without skin ( I actually used 2 half breasts)

1 tomato, chopped

1/2 onion, chopped

8 pitted calamata olives, halved

1 tablespoon olive oil1 teaspoon wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar

1 small bunch fresh basil, chopped

Beans:

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 can (15 or 16 ounces) white beans, rinsed and drained

1 tomato, chopped

1/4 cup chopped fresh mixed herbs

your choice1 teaspoon red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar

Salt and pepper (optional)


Directions:For chicken, heat oven to 375F. Place each chicken thigh on a large square of aluminum foil. Combine remaining chicken ingredients; spoon over chicken. Fold foil up and over chicken sealing edges forming a packet. Bake 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Meanwhile, for beans, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; cook 5 minutes or until heated through. Carefully open chicken packets and transfer mixture to two serving plates; serve beans alongside chicken.

Like I said, I already had kale at home and sauteed it as usual.

Kale:

1 large bunch of kale, coarsely chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 onion, sliced

1/2 c chicken or vegetable broth

Directions:

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until soft

Add kale and broth and simmer until kale is tender

It was a delicious and nutritious heart healthy recipe that will no longer collect dust!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment