November 18, 2009

Steel Magnolias 20th Anniversary

November 15th marked the 20th anniversary of Steel Magnolias. Okay so most people were not aware of this and none of the major networks or even the trashy entertainment shows paid notice but I sure did!

Steel Magnolias is a movie about the bond among a group of Southern women in Louisiana. The film is based off the play by Robert Harling and his experience with his sister's death from diabetes.

Steel Magnolias is one of my top five absolute favorite movies. Coincidentally all of them start with the letter S. This is of no significance to anyone but I find it interesting.

Anyway, I was 14 years old when it hit theaters and I loved it immediately. My parents bought me the video when it was released {I am really dating myself here} and I remember watching it over and over and over again with my dear friend Carmen. We would sit for hours in our family room, veg out {another dated term} and watch this movie. I can still recite all of the famous one liners.

There was something about those Southern woman that stole my heart. I've mentioned before that I love people from the South. Their quirkiness, the southern drawl, strongly rooted traditions, southern decorating, the over the top brides and super controling mothers- this is right up my alley.

In all seriousness, it is a movie about love, loss, friendship and strong women. What's not to love? Not to mention the cast. How many movies include six amazingly talented actresses? Four of them oscar winners. These women feel like friends, mothers, family to me.

In fact I love this movie so much I begged my wedding cake baker to make me Jackson's bleeding armadillo grooms cake for my bridal shower a few years ago. She was spot on! I also dream of buying a toy dog and naming her Ouisa Boudreaux.

So no one else noticed the 20th anniversary of Steel Magnolias but me and because this is my blog I find it fully acceptable to celebrate with a post. Maybe I'll make a southern meal for Oscar and throw out a one liner or two? "He'll be so confused he won't know whether to scratch his watch or wind his butt!"

I will leave you with one of my favorite scenes. M'Lynn breaks down after Shelby's funeral and Clairee suggest she takes out her frustration by hitting Ouisa. "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion."



Happy Anniversary to a great movie about the strength of women!

No comments:

Post a Comment