January 25, 2010

Clean Out the Refrigerator Chicken Soup



A couple of weeks ago Ozzie and I had the worst head cold ever. He woke up with it on Monday morning and of course I got it on Tuesday. All I wanted was homemade chicken soup to warm up my congested head.

Luckily the night before I roasted a chicken and served it with baked potatoes so I had left overs. I call this recipe "Clean Out the Refrigerator Chicken Soup" because I literally cleaned out my refrigerator to make it.

Clean Out the Refrigerator Chicken Soup

Ingredients:
2 T olive oil
1/2 onion thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 or 2 zucchinis sliced thick
1 or 2 carrots sliced thick
Shredded chicken (left overs from roasted chicken).
1 to 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I added 2 breasts to make it a heartier soup and to have left overs for dinner).
4 cups chicken broth (homemade is best if you have it).
Whole wheat rotini noodles (I used 1/2 box)
1 potato, mashed
Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions:
Brown chicken breasts in olive oil and set aside
Add onion and saute until translucent
Meanwhile, dice or shred chicken breasts
Add garlic, cook 1 minute careful not to burn
Add carrots and zucchinis
Add chicken broth
Add shredded chicken back to pot, cover and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and cook on medium-low heat for 35 to 45 minutes.
During last ten minutes of cooking, add pasta noodles and cook as directed on package.
Season with salt and pepper to taste

While soup is cooking, mash potato with 1/3 cup non-fat milk.
Serve soup over small mound of mashed potatoes.

I know the potatoes and noodles in the soup can be carb overload but it tastes really really yummy and I was sick so I gave myself an extra carb pass that day.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment