February 2, 2010
It is all the rage right now- coconut water; and this is literally how they are selling it at Whole Foods. A raw coconut with a straw- ha! Of course I had to try it and I gotta say I don't like the flavor. I want my coconut to taste well, coconutty. This doesn't but it does have numerous health benefits. For those of you who care, here is why coconut water is all the rage.
9 Benefits of Coconut Water- Associated Content
1. Coconut water when administered orally stops all kinds of adverse drug reactions.
2. In many cases, it is used in the treatment of damages caused by inappropriate administration of anti-microbial agents.
3. Coconut water is germ free (pyrogen free: a substance that causes fever, especially a substance introduced into somebody's bloodstream) and as such naturally balanced with electrolytic substances like sodium, potassium, magnesium etc. this property makes it a good substitute for saline-glucose: a solution of common salt sodium chloride and distilled water, especially one having the same concentration as body fluids.
4. The oral intake of coconut water helps in breaking down and eliminating all forms of kidney and bladder stones, one health benefit that is low cost effective, and can save thousand of dollars that would have been put out for medical bills.
5. Coconut water have been found very useful as a natural oral re-hydration therapy (ORT) , because of its isotonic properties (balanced concentration of salts and minerals: specially formulated to supply the body's chemical needs in situations in which minerals and fluids are used up by the body, e.g. during vigorous exercise-Encarta), and electrolytic properties.
6. It is on record that coconut water if taken during feverish conditions reduces fever, ii is also known to calm nervous and emotional imbalances.
7. Taking coconut water regularly aids in flushing the liver, since it contains lauric acid (a crystalline fatty acid. Source: coconut, laurel oils) which gives it anti-microbial properties and makes it suitable for treatment of some liver ailments like hepatitis.
8. It is known by many experts that coconut water contains the following supplements needed to sustain life:
- glucose: which acts as sugar for energy in the body when taken
- vitamin Bs: for replenishment of worn out cells and tissues
- vitamin C: to shield the body form ailments like scurvy
9. Most importantly, coconut water acts as a detoxifying agent; and potentially the strongest antidote against any form of poison infusion in the body. One health benefit that have in the past saved many poison victims by neutralizing the effect of the poison in the blood. If administered for about 40 days, it flushes out the poison completely from the victim's blood stream.
Source- Associated Content. Read the full article here.