February 9, 2010

Homemade Chicken Stock


All the food bloggers that I follow are constantly encouraging their readers to make their own stock. It is healthier, tastes better and definitely has less sodium.

This has always been on my list of things to do and I since I had all of the veggies on hand, I decided to attempt my first stock with an organic chicken carcass from the previous nights dinner. Have I told you how much I love roasting chickens during the winter?

Below is a recipe I adapted from many different sites using the vegetables that I had available.

Homemade Organic Chicken Stock
Ingredients:
1 left over chicken carcass
2 chicken half breasts, bone-in.
1 large yellow onion
1 garlic bunch
3 celery stalks
2 carrots
1 t whole black pepper corns
1-2 t kosher salt

Directions:
Cut onion in half but do not remove outer skin
Cut ends of garlic but do not remove outer skin
Cut celery in half, lenthwise
Peel and cut carrots in half, lengthwise
Add all ingredients to stock pot and cover with water by one or two inches. Bring to a boil over meduim-high heat, then simmer for a few hours.
Make sure to remove the chicken breasts when they are done. They do not need to boil for a few hours. Add bones back to stock.
Once its done, strain through fine mesh strainer, twice.
Cool stock in the sink with cold water and ice before moving to fridge.
Leave overnight, then skim off fat before using or putting into containers to freeze.

I shredded the chicken breasts to make Chicken Pesto Lettuce Wraps, my new favorite dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment