November 3, 2009

Pumpkin Bread

A few weeks ago Oscar came home from work raving about pumpkin bread that our friend made and pretty much demanded I make it for him ASAP! He even asked her for the recipe and emailed it to me. He said that it was the best pumpkin bread he has ever tried.

I was intrigued. If you know Oscar, you'd know that he is a pretty even keel kind of guy. It is not typical of him to call anything "the best thing he has ever had". Those dramatics are usually left for me : )

So as instructed I made Oscar his now favorite pumpkin bread and I must say that it IS the best pumpkin bread I've ever had!

Thanks for the recipe Steph!

Pumpkin Bread

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t each ginger, ground cloves, nutmeg OR 1 1/2 t Chinese Five Spice
1 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 c sugar
3/4 c vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 t vanilla
3 c shredded pumpkin
1 c toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
Sift flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Combine both mixtures and fold in the shredded pumpkin and pumpkin seeds.
Once the ingredients are all incorporated pour into a non-stick 9x5x3 loaf pan an top with walnuts, if desired.
Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cook for 15 minutes and turn out onto a cooling rack. Cool completely.
For muffins, temperature should be 325 degrees F, but bake 30 minutes.

A few tips you plan on making this:
I roasted my pumpkin for a bit in the oven to make it easier to shred.
I used the ginger, cloves and nutmeg mix and not the Chinese Five Spice. I am not 100% sold on the Chinese Five Spice idea.
Also, the pumpkin seeds and walnuts really make this bread, so if you make it add those options unless you are allergic.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment