November 10, 2009

Happy 40th Sesame Street

Today Sesame Street celebrates their 40th anniversary. What an amazing 40 years it has been. Sesame Street is the longest running show in the history of childrens television and it is broadcast in more than 140 countries.

I have many nostalgic memories of watching Sesame Street as a child. Remember the scene at the end of each episode where Barkley the dog ran through the park with all of the kids? Oh how I loved that scene {sigh}. I can still remember that bitter sweet feeling I had because I loved Barkley but also knew my favorite show was over. Sadly there was not a dvr back in the 80's to rewind and rewatch. Nope, I had to endure until the next new episode. If you don't remember, click here to see it on YouTube.

Now as a mother, I love that Ozzie also watches Sesame Street. His favorite character is Elmo, of course. I'm sure just like every other toddler around the world, Ozzie stops midtrack when he hears the familiar tune of Elmo's World and is memorized for the next 15 minutes. We also enjoy Murray and his lamb Ovejita {little lamb in Spanish} and their trips to new schools around NYC. Then there is The Count, Abby Cadabby, Oscar of course!, Bert & Ernie, Grover and the grouchy blue man... I could keep going but I'm guessing you get that we love all of the characters!

With all that is said about children watching too much television these days, I am always on the fence about letting Ozzie watch tv at all but my guilt is let up just a little for the hour that Sesame Street is on.

Happy Anniversary Sesame Street! Here's to 40 more years!

No comments:

Post a Comment