November 17, 2009

Whole Wheat Millet Muffins



Our morning routine has changed quite a bit since Ozzie joined our tribe. Oscar and I used to enjoy a healthy breakfast together before we left for work. Both of us have always been breakfast eaters, it IS the most important meal of the day.

Now that I stay home with Ozzie full time, Oscar is left to fend for himself. Also because Ozzie doesn't wake up until Oscar has to actually be at work, I make Oscar complete his entire morning routine in stealth mode for fear of any noise waking Ozzie up early.

Sleep is a top priority in my book since it took us nearly 10 months to get Ozzie to sleep through the night. Yes 10 MONTHS! He had colic and that screwed everything up.

Every morning I hear Oscar being as quiet as he can be and it tugs at my heart because I know it must suck to be on pins and needles every day. As a result of this, Oscar is usually stuck with a lame piece of toast or a protein shake for breakfast. This also makes me sad since we used to enjoy this daily ritual together.

So when I saw this recipe for whole wheat millet muffins on Hogwash, I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Can you blame me for being leery? WHOLE-WHEAT-MILLET-MUFFIN. It doesn't exactly scream out yummy breakfast pastry, does it? But it sounded decent AND healthy(ish); and I thought Oscar deserved a yummy home made muffin before his busy day.

We were pleasantly surpirsed. If you are looking to try something new for breakfast, give this a try. I bet you'll be surprised too.

Whole Wheat Millet Muffins via Hogwash

Look for millet in the bulk foods section of a natural grocery store.

TIME: 15 minutes active time
MAKES: 1 dozen muffins

Vegetable oil spray
2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup (raw) millet
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
Zest and juice (about 2 tablespoons) of 1 lemon (I skipped the zest because lemon zest can sometimes be overwhelming for me).

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with vegetable oil spray (including the flat parts), and set aside.

Whisk the flour, millet, powder, soda, and salt together in a large bowl. In another big bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir until the flour is just incorporated. Divide the batter between the muffin cups, spooning a heaping 1/4 cup batter into each one. (The muffins will not rise much.)

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until browned and only barely beginning to crack. Let cool 5 minutes in pans, then cool completely on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment