June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

This year marked Oscar's first Father's Day and I really wanted to make it special for him. I thought it would be fun to start off his first with the first of many cheesy homemade gifts from Ozzie. After all, nothing says Father's Day more than a cheesy homemade gift from the kiddo, right? So off to Michaels I went for card stock and inspiration.

First I spotted some royalty stickers and then found matching crown card stock. Which resulted in this card. After all, he is the king of this castle is he not?





Add a great picture of Ozzie and him boating on Memorial Day and viola phase one of cheesy homemade gift complete.




Next I wanted to make him something that he could hang on the wall at work so after finding more card stock and stickers, I decided to add a print of Ozzie's hand in red hand paint to match his red card.


Great idea except when it was done the red hand print resembled a bloody hand print a la horror film. Whoops! I decided to go with it since it was supposed to be a cheesy homemade gift after all. Don't most Father's Day gifts come with some kind of mistake anyway? I figured it would fall under the category of the ashtray that looks like a blob or coffee mug missing the handle. I'm sure he's got plenty of those gifts in his near future.


Here's his bloody wall art- hee hee...




Unfortunately Ozzie caught a horrible virus and he was out of commission for the next 7 days so that ended Oscar's Father's Day gift. Dad's always get the short end of the stick.

Luckily I had enough forethought to order him special rib eye steaks from Omaha Steaks . Nothing makes up for the lack of a gift better than a rib eye flown in from corn fed Nebraska cows. But since Ozzie was sick we did have to cancel our Father's Day bbq with my Dad which was a major bummer.

Ozzie made Pepa his own bloody card too. {I'm still cracking up inside}


But the show must go on so Oscar barbecued the steaks, I tried a new appetizer of prosciutto wrapped scallops since Oscar loves scallops and added one of his favorite sides of garlic mashed potatoes. Since it was Father's Day I skipped veggies all together in my husbands shear delight. After a morning of pancakes with strawberries and whip cream {pretty much a redo of our Mother's Day breakfast} we had a day of feasting. Oscar was slowly forgetting his lack of a gift as his tummy got more and more full with each meal.

If I'm being honest I've had a better steak. I'm not sure that I'm a fan of a boneless rib eye but I had to try the famous Omaha Steaks once so Oscar's first Father's Day was the perfect occasion.

Garlic mashed potatoes- we're fans of leaving the skin on and not mashing all of the lumps out of the potatoes. The perfectly smooth mashed potatoes don't have that same homemade texture that I love.

The prosciutto wrapped scallops were deeelicious! Just toss the scallops in olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Wrap with 1/2 piece prosciutto sliced vertically and bake for 10 to 12 minutes in a 425 degree oven. I used the chili pepper olive oil from Oil & Vinegar. It added a little bit of heat to each bite.

For dessert we had our favorite Oatmeal Raisin cookies from Smitten Kitchen, I've blogged about these before. So good! Except I didn't have any raisins but did have some chocolate chips so I just substituted the chips and the cookies were still great.


Overall I think Oscar had a good first Father's Day even with a sick child and cancelled party we made do with what we had. I know I appreciated spending the day with my two favorite boys. Hope your Father's Day was a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment