Yesterday afternoon I received this list of activities to do with my son:
Simple, Surprising Brain Boosters for Baby
- Splashing in the tub. Aside from being majorly fun, it teaches cause and effect and the basic properties of water.
- Clapping. It builds coordination and, if the two of you do it along to songs, rhythm.
- Banging on a pot, which lets baby learn the different sounds he can make.
- Unraveling a ball of yarn (another mystifying cause-and-effect lesson).
- Touching running water, while you turn the temp from cold to warm. It's a simple sensory booster.
- One more tip: Be sure to narrate each of these activities ("Ooooh, that water is cold! Ahhhh, that feels nice and warm!") so that baby learns to connect words with their meanings. It’s a great way to stimulate language development and make these little games more fun and engaging for both of you.
I think I'll make this today's to do list. My real to do list?
- Finish laundry
- Sort through mail
- Target- returns
- Cancel gym membership (haven't gone since I was pregnant)
- Confirm tax appointment
Which is more important? The former for sure- today is all about O!
I think we will start with splashing in the tub after his blueberry breakfast....