August 11, 2009

From the Garden

Tonight's dinner was from my garden and I couldn't be happier about it!

Yesterday Oscar and I harvested more tomatoes from the garden. I can't believe how many tomatoes are ripening. Below is just half of what we harvested. I gave half to my Mom who came over to help me with Ozzie today since I am still recovering from surgery.




I decided to make my first homemade spaghetti sauce from the tomatoes. Since turkey spaghetti is a family staple, I always have the ingredients available and I don't have to be on my feet for a long time to make it.


First I pureed the tomatoes and some fresh basil. Sadly the basil was not from my garden. I tried to grow basil twice this summer and both times our friendly neighborhood rabbit ate it all before I could harvest it.





Next I sauteed thinly sliced onions and garlic in olive oil and browned ground turkey. When the turkey was cooked, I added the pureed tomatoes and basil, fresh oregano {also from my garden}, olives, artichoke hearts, sea salt and pepper. I let my sauce simmer for about 30 minutes on low heat. While waiting for my sauce to thicken, I cooked the whole wheat rotini. I topped each helping with freshly shaved Parmesan cheese.


We had a fresh from the garden, healthy and delicious meal; all while I'm still recovering from surgery {patting myself on the back}!






Homemade spaghetti sauce doesn't have the same bright red color as the canned stuff but it tasted delicious even without red dye #5.

No comments:

Post a Comment