August 25, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

Today Oscar and I celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary. As I reflect back on the last two years all I can think is whirlwind.

We spent our first year of marriage pregnant and our second year of marriage fumbling through parenthood. Don't worry we lived together for 7 years before getting married so we are not THAT crazy.

Ozzie was born a little less than a month before our 1st wedding anniversary. Unfortunately his colic and my lack of sleep, not to mention delicate emotional state, prevented us from a big celebration. Oscar did surprise me with a spa gift certificate, which sadly I still have not used. I think I cooked dinner and maybe dessert but that first four months was a blur thanks to those sleepless nights.

How did we celebrate this year? The exact same way. Parenthood sure does change your life, eh?

I cooked one of his favorites, steak with garlic mashed potatoes. If you know my husband you know the way to his heart is through his stomach, most of the time anyway. Like every other red blooded American man he loves steak and potatoes.

For dessert, I tried my stab at these vanilla cupcakes from Sweet Paul. Oscar loves plain cake, especially vanilla or white cake. He'd prefer it without the icing all together. That's why I thought these cupcakes would be perfect. He can add as much or as little creme fraiche and jam as he wants, or even none at all.


We opted for blackberry jam over the raspberry jam that was suggested. The creme fraiche gives the dessert a bit of a tartness that many people enjoy. I actually am not a fan of tart desserts. Call me traditional but I want my dessert sweet. It was very good though just not my favorite. The actual cupcakes were delicious. I will add the recipe to my recipe binder just for the vanilla cupcakes. I also like that the recipe only yields 12 cupcakes. Sometimes you need just a few for a special celebration and the usual 24 can be way too much. This was my first Sweet Paul recipe; he posts new ones every Monday. I will definitely try more of his recipes in the future.

I know I've mentioned before how lucky I am to have Oscar as my husband. He honestly is one of the best people I know. He is loving and kind and patient with me & all my shenanigans. Most importantly he makes me laugh everyday even when I'm mad, ESPECIALLY when I'm mad. How did I get so lucky? I don't know but I thank God everyday.

Below are some of my favorite wedding and engagement photos.

Happy Anniversary Honey! Thank you for being YOU!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary! Your wedding photos are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete